North Yorkshire Home Care Team Supports Parkinson’s Awareness Week 2014
Tuesday, 15th April 2014
Published 15 April 2014.
Parkinson’s Awareness Week 2014 took place 7th-13th April this year with the aim of helping give some control back to people experiencing the condition.
Parkinson’s Awareness Week is organised by the leading charity, Parkinson’s UK, who spent the week getting us much media coverage as possible to raise awareness of Parkinson’s and to tell the public how improving their understanding can give people back some control. In doing this, Parkinson’s UK sought to highlight 5 key ways people are robbed of control:
- You can freeze on the spot
- You can lose the ability to communicate
- Eating and drinking can be painfully slow and difficult
- Your muscles can get so stiff, it’s hard to even move
- You can get very ill if you don’t get your medication on time
Parkinson’s UK also used the campaign to urge hospitals to ensure that patients with Parkinson’s received their medication on time. According to the charity, almost half (47%) of people with Parkinson’s are denied regular access to the medication they need to keep their condition under control in hospital, and over a third (35%) of people with Parkinson’s reported that hospital staff had a poor understanding of the importance of giving medication for the condition on time.
Carefound Home Care offers a specialist Parkinson’s care service in North Yorkshire, giving elderly people the opportunity to remain in the familiarity of their own home alongside tailored support from a trusted, professional home carer. Important aspects of this service include:
- A full assessment of care needs through which we seek to understand all aspects of the support to be provided such as daily routines, likes / dislikes, medication, mobility, personal care and mental health
- A fully personalised plan of care bespoke to you and your family
- A professional home carer, trained by the leading Parkinson’s charity Parkinson’s UK, to provide the support needed on either an hourly or live in care basis
- Regular reviews and communication ensuring that needs are met as the condition changes and develops
- Liaison and collaboration with other health and social care professionals such as a Parkinson’s nurse, physiotherapist, occupational therapist, speech and language therapist, continence nurse or dietitian
- Ongoing support from a local management team
Carefound Home Care has been in strong support of Parkinson’s Awareness Week 2014, with members of the team in North Yorkshire attending specialist training in understanding the condition delivered by Parkinson’s UK
Carefound Home Care is a provider of specialist home care and dementia care services to elderly people in North Yorkshire, enabling clients to continue to live independently in the comfort of their own home whilst maintaining the highest quality of life achievable. Services provided include basic help in the home, companionship, personal care, medication help, post-operative rehabilitation, respite care and specialist help such as dementia care, Parkinson’s care and palliative care. The flexible service is available from 1 hour to 24 hours per day, 365 days a year, including a specialist live-in care option.
To contact Carefound Home Care in Harrogate call: 01423 774070, for Ripon call: 01765 530000, for Wetherby call: 01937 220200. For additional information please visit: www.carefound.co.uk.